Sunday 8 May 2011

Major Project

Interim Presentation

At the beginning of March I was asked to give an interim presentation of my project so far. I explained my project to staff and my peers, that of creating an alcohol awareness project aimed at students. I explained that it came about from the dismissal of Government scientist Professor Knutt in 2009 as reported in the Lancett on 1st November 2010, after he pointed out that the effects of alcohol on the public was greater than those of A class drugs. My project was not only to show the immediate dangers of alcohol but also the longer term effects. To do this it was my intention to break down the images into catagories relating to the problems caused by alcohol, drink driving, illness, crime, domestic abuse etc, etc. Up to this date I had amassed images relating to a few catagories which can be seen in the blog.

After presenting these ideas and images to the audience it was pointed out that, although it was a good idea and had the potentiol to be a good project, it did not really reflect my area of expertise - Crime Scene Investigation photography. Although it depicted images of the evdience of alcohol related problems, it was more of a publicity project. On reflection I could see their point. I maintain that it would make a good project and prove informative to students and I may return to it at a later date.

My problem now was how to depict the work of a CSI through images. Something that Steve said on the very first day of the course stuck in my mind when we walked through Manchester. On coming across a large gate which had obviously been rammed with a vehicle I pointed this out to Steve. He pointed out to me that no one else had seen the gate in such a way, and so that gave me the idea that maybe as an ex CSI I see things in a dfferent light/way to people who do not have a 'crime prevention/detection' background.

No comments:

Post a Comment